Clubs and Activities
ACTIVITY BLOCK FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS
The middle school activity block gives students a chance to learn about or participate in an activity that peaks their interest. Activities include; academic, athletic, arts, character building, and more. Students select two activity blocks per quarter.
Activity Block Selections
X-BLOCK FOR UPPER SCHOOL STUDENTS 2011-12
The purpose of x-block is to encourage students to engage with faculty who possess an expertise or interest in an activity that is either outside of or complementary to our standard curriculum. The important goals of x- block are to accomplish the following:
- foster relationships with students faculty members might not get to know otherwise
- offer students the chance to explore options not provided in the regular academic or extracurricular program or to supplement and complement these programs
- acknowledge and embrace that learning happens in other places; the offerings can be academic, but they also can be something other than academic, even if it’s primarily focused on play
- create opportunities to mix students from different grades
- continue to promote one of the school’s key missions of enhancing lifelong learning
All upper school students are required to sign-up for 2 x-block sessions. These selections can be different, i.e., British Poetry (Tuesday) and Touch Football (Friday), or students can select an x-block that meets twice a week, i.e., Model United Nations Team.
Although required to participate in 2 x-block
offerings, students may sign up for more than 2.
X-blocks are offered either by quarter, semester or year. Some x-block offerings will allow students to choose another x-block offering at the quarter or semester even if the x-block is intended to be a year long activity. Please read carefully the x-block descriptions below for information about requirements, including the commitment of time. X-blocks are considered similar to class – attendance is required and will appear on each student’s report card.
In the fall, seniors are required to participate in 1 x-block offering in addition to college seminar.
In the spring, seniors will be required to participate in 2 x-block offerings.
In the spring, juniors are required to participate in 1 x-block offering in addition to college seminar.X-Block Offerings Fall 2011